Dec 14, 2008

Cultural and Societal Differences between the US and India

I was recently invited by my graduate school Professor to deliver a guest lecture to the MBA class at Sacred Heart University, CT. The topic of lecture was “Cultural and Societal Differences between the US and India”. India, approximately 1/3 the size of the US with 3x the population, has many difference with the US, but I chose to narrow them down to 16 important elements that in my opinion are the most prominent difference between these two very diverse societies.

I tried to inform students of not just professional differences, but also the societal/ lifestyle differences. My objective was to discuss elements that form the very core of the Indian culture and at some level are still dominant in that society. Of course some of these are slowly changing due to western influence, predominantly US, but many are still present and followed as they were ages ago.

The lecture was a great experience and the class was very engaging with great questions, I believe driven by genuine inquisitiveness about a new culture. Some questions even got me thinking hard. So I would like to thank the class for being so active and for their questions.

I would also like to thank my Professor for giving me this great opportunity. It was a true privilege.

To give you a brief overview of what I discussed I have included my lecture slide here: http://ksajjan.blogspot.com/.

If you have any questions or are interested in getting more information on the cultural differences between the US and India please contact me.

Thanks.

No comments: